North Korea conducted a “missile launch” on Thursday, firing two projectiles into its eastern sea amid obstructed denuclearization talks with Washington, military officials said.
The U.S. military has not confirmed what type of projectiles were fired, and are investigating the launch with their allies in South Korea and Japan.
The Pentagon is aware of the launch and is looking into it,” Pentagon spokesman Lt. Col. Dave Eastburn said. “We’re working closely with our ROK allies, and when more information becomes available, I’ll provide it to you.”
South Korea’s military claimed two North Korean missiles, which they described as short-range projectiles, flew 230 miles “across the peninsula” and reached a height of 55 miles before splashing down into the sea on its eastern coast.
North Korea’s latest missile test, the second this month, comes two months ahead of an end-of-year deadline set by North Korean leader Kim Jong Un to wrap up nuclear talks with the Trump administration as the Hermit Kingdom appeared to be losing patience.
North Korean senior official Kim Yong Chol said in a statement Sunday that there has been no progress in U.S.-North Korea relations. He warned that the cordial relationship between Kim and President Trump wouldn’t be enough to prevent nuclear diplomacy from failing, threatening that “there could be the exchange of fire at any moment.”
Earlier this month, North Korea successfully test-fired its first underwater-launched ballistic missile in three years. U.S. officials had confirmed the missile was not fired from a submarine, suggesting it had been fired from an underwater platform or barge. The Hermit Kingdom called that launch “a new phase” in its military defense.